Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Frugality

Life these days seem to be just a bit of a frugality. If its not a gray moment in time, or a deep inhale of air because you have forgotten to breathe...its definately a money thing these days. If we only would know how the future would treat us...would we make the decisions that we have made and be staring in the face the hard truth of the present. I think if we had a crystal ball to see in the future...each and everyone of us would look at life a bit differently. Wouldnt you? I mean...if you could see how tomorrow would turn out..would you do today differently? If you could see how next month would turn out...would you want to change how you play out this next week?
Well unfortunately we arent blessed with balls made of crystal or a fast forward button like on a vcr. But we do have one thing...and that is faith. God wouldnt give us anything that he didnt think we could handle. We must just believe that we go through these obstacles in life to learn different lessons and appreciate new things. We must believe that with him in our lives...anything is possible.

In the past I used to be very knowledgable about being frugal. Well situations changed, time changed and I lost touch with my inner frugal being. I slowly started to get back to those roots and explore more. Heck Ive been getting the sunday paper now for about 3 months and just now sat down today and started to clip out those coupons. Ive come across some really informative websites where I can turn those little peices of paper in to something "like" gold. LOL.
I went out on my first run today and hit Walgreens. Thought I'd take baby steps and get the hang of things. Well for my first shop...I think I might have scored a bit. Lets see....this is what I got.....
I got Peter Pan PB~ $3.49-$1.82 walgreen q - $1 mf q = .67¢
Glade Oil Scents~ 2/$4.49 - bogof mf q = free
Glade oil refill~ 2 @ $1.99 each - bogof mf q = $1.99 for 2
Puffs tissues~ $1.49 - .60¢ walg q - .25¢ mf q = .64¢
Rimmel eyeshadow~ $4.79 x 2=$9.58 - walg bogof - mf q bogof = free
I also got the 5/$11 pepsi which equals out to $2.20 a pack
Oh and I got this pack of hair ties that is normally $4.99 and it was clearanced to $1.29

My receipt showed I spent with tax....$19.42 and my total savings was $32.82
So what do you think? Did I do ok for my first official frugal shop?

I must admit...it was a bit fun. The challenge of getting stuff for free. Now mind you Im not going to turn into a pack rat and collect stuff just cuz I got it free. But it will help making the lack of money seem to go a bit farther. Plus I love to take on challenges from time to time. Now if I could find an easy, no thought process idea for organizing all these coupons.

Luvs ya

1 Feedbacks:

Kim said...

A recipe box makes a great coupon holder if you don't mind lugging the box in & out of stores...you can get dividers for it and add your own labels to make whatever categories you need. That's what I used to do....I need to get back into coupons. Your deals sound fabulous!!! Great job!